SPADO in partnership with UNICEF, Association for Aid and Relief (AAR) and Japan Volunteer International Center initiated a multi response project just after the unfortunate earthquake of 2005. This integrated project was focused on disaster management, child protection and the provision of basic infrastructure and services to the affected communities in district Battagram, Allai, Swat, Nowshehra and Charsadda.
From the practical and grassroots experience in the earthquake affected areas and later on in the flood affected areas, SPADO contributed to empower communities and craft efforts towards the Community Based Disaster Risk Management, Child Protection and relief and rehabilitation of the affected communities. In this connection SPADO focused to provide skills as well as tools to the communities in order to protect themselves from disasters and minimize their effects. Below are some major activities:
• Formation of Disaster Management Committees.
• Formation of Schools Children Committees.
• Provision of First Aid Kits.
• Construction of Small Scale Infrastructure.
• Provision of IEC materials.
• Capacity building of local communities on Disaster Risk Reduction, Response, Early Warning Systems and Child Protection.
• Provision of necessary tools as a disaster preparedness.
• Established coordination and linkages with District/ Provincial and other relevant departments.